For several years, Because has been working with Uthando, a non-profit and Fair Trade in Tourism accredited organisation, to help raise funds for life-changing community development projects in South Africa.
The latest project we’ve supported is the construction of the Iminathi Educare / Thokozani Together Centre in Cape Town, and we’re proud to announce construction on the project is now complete.
The project offers clean and modern community facilities and services to 500 local children, youth and families, including:
- Four full time teachers – who are pursuing further studies in Early Childhood Development – teaching 100 young children
- An Educare centre where parents can leave children for an entire day of learning, activities and nutritious meals
- A homework club helping students with school work and a parent/teacher night every three months, supported by local volunteers
- A Libromat with affordable laundry services, parental education and a children’s library
- A Thokozani Youth Choir (that made it to the semi-finals of South Africa’s Got Talent!) that aspiring singers can join
- An adventure camp that will also offer students tutoring sessions before their exams
- A local community hall at Thokozani Together that’s used regular for community meetings
- A jungle gym and play area provides a safe, secure and fun space for children
- Computers and a library on site open to all local residents
- A monthly market selling both new and used clothes
- And lastly, in an effort to foster youth employment, Thokozani Together will help young entrepreneurs in the community start their own business
As with any project Because support, every penny donated to Uthando is spent directly on the project, not on overhead or expenses.
Interested in donating to our next cause or want to learn more? Check out www.uthandosa.org.